Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Finding meaning in Christmas

It was only this year that more than half of the Christmas messages I got reminded all of us of the reason behind the season (cool talaga ng phrase na toh haha). I felt happy that despite the intense consumerism that seems to possess people during this season (myself included), we did not forget why we were exchanging gifts or giving (for my part, receiving) aguinaldo.

I had a lot of fun yesterday because it was a different Christmas. We had Lucky Me pancit canton for Noche Buena because floods (patalong global warming + gravitational pull of the moon) kept us from going to our grandparents' place for the traditional Christmas dinner. It was fun to be spending a lot more time with the immediate family but sad at the same time because my 80+ years old grandparents were all alone (I'm not sure if they minded, but these events are the few ones when our entire family is present). I got a lot of aguinaldo and reached the target I set this year (yes, I combine the Christmas "bonus" and my savings the whole year). Everything else that happened was just great.

However, all that joy got me thinking: is this really how we remember the birth of our Lord? We count our money, open our presents, eat a lot of food. Is it really just a celebration? It felt to me lacking. It is good to celebrate just as the shepherds and the wise men did when they reached the manger where the Savior was born.

I guess it is easy enough to find the meaning of Christmas on the day itself. I feel that the challenge is to find its meaning on the days that come after because Jesus the baby did not come to the earth one night and left the next. He stayed with us, growing and getting ready for His ministry. I feel we should do the same. We've allowed Christ to enter our hearts yesterday once more. Our task now is to keep Him alive in us until we are called to Him at the end of our days. That I feel, is the true meaning of Christmas.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I reall think you need to be a priest, or a priests sermon writer! Galing! :D

Pero sa tingin ko, kaya maraming aguinaldo pag Pasko, para maging thankful ka, tapos maalala mo kung bakit ka nun binigyan, tapos masasabi mong, 'tang ina, buti nalang Pasko! Hindi naman sa binababaan ko yung meaning ng pasko or anything, pero sa tingin ko okey lang ang consumerism sa pasko. Kumbaga, wordly reflection siya, lahat naman kelangan ng ganun diba? Kumbaga yun yung spark of thankfullness. Ewan, hindi naman ako nakakatanggap sa Pasko eh, hehehe, kupal sila, hehehe.