Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Pneumonia

Pneumonia is the condition wherein alveoli are inflammed and filled with fluid. It may be caused be a variety of pathogens including viruses, fungi, parasites and bacteria. Complications include septic shock resulting from spreading of the pathogens from the infected lung through the bloodstream to virtually anywhere in the body.

Astig ng wikipedia noh. All you need to know. hahaha.
My brother (Kevin) has had this illness for about 3-4 days now and he's been admitted to the hospital in the hopes of expediting his recovery. It all started with a boil (indicating his weakened resistance) and now this.

When they discovered that he had it (with a chest X-ray), I was a bit surprised. I haven't heard anyone I know with this condition. I suppose a normal body resistance is sufficient to fight the many pathogens that cause this disease. We're still trying to figure out why his immune system weakened.

I'm posting this here because I know he needs all the prayers he can get. I am confident God the super-healer will cure Him in His own time. Maganda din na kinakatok Siya often para dun. hehe.



UPDATE:
My brother is out of the hospital and back here sa bahay. Thank God! Ambilis! Compared to the two weeks of Ate Frances' Dad, my brother only had to stay for 3 days.

Buti na lang his condition was detected early on. Only less than 1/4 of the lung cavity was affected and filled up with fluid. I pressume the cause of the pneumonia was bacterial since well, the medication prescribed were extremely powerful (and expensive) antibiotics. Imagine you could buy a pocketbook with every capsule he took. hahaha.

So he's back and he's feeling a lot better. There is still some fluid in his lungs which causes him to cough a lot. But my parents say continuous medication would clear the fluid out.

Thank you for all the prayers. :D My parents forbid my brother to tell his friends that he was in the hospital so as to keep them from visiting him since his disease was infectious. Haha. Pero siyempre ako pinost ko pa sa blog. hahaha.

Ayun. Thank God ambilis Niya magpagaling. :D

3 comments:

FNF said...

rob: suki na 'ko ng comments. since you haven't heard of anyone having pneumonia, i hope you'll be relieved to know that my dad got this condition 2 years ago. what initally scared me was that he's diabetic (that means weaker immune system) & that the type of pneumonia he acquired was the less common one: fungal. he was hospitalized for two weeks (i still have vivid memories of the being the "bantay," grabe, nakakapagod!) but after that things fell into place and he recovered. in fact, the incident even made him more health-conscious than he disciplined himself to lose 15 lbs and be in his best shape ever!
will pray, and hope for the best :)

Anonymous said...

Good to know your brother's doing better :) When I was a kid nagka-similar disease ako - well, I guess similar sila kasi medyo pareho pangalan niya: pneuomonitis, parang mini pneumonia daw? Whatever. It was not pleasant :|

I MEEEEESH YOU ROBBIEKINS!!! Are you going to UP na? Or abroad?

Rob said...

hey mandeeee! MEEEESH YOU TOO (especially teasing you :p) Nope, ateneo po ako. :D