Thursday, June 7, 2007

The Ateneo Way

I've been exposed to Atenean culture for the past three days and so far, I'm not regretting my decision. Sometimes, I still think about what my life could have been if I chose UP Diliman, Manila or La Salle. These thoughts are processed unconsciously whenever I hear about experiences of my friends in those schools. It seemed a week ago that I may have been missing a lot. But a few days into my new life as part of the Ateneo, I'd tell them that as well.

Many people ask me why I chose Ateneo. My parents would often jokingly answer that question with "mas mahal kasi tuition dun e, para mas sulit ang scholarship :p", because I'm not sure I've explained my decision well enough to them. It's really complicated and no single reason is strong enough to stand alone.

I'll start with the wrong reasons people often use to explain this. No, I am not from Ateneo Grade School. No, my brother is not from Ateneo Grade School. No, my parents did not graduate from the Ateneo. It seems Ateneo, or college in general, is seen as a family tradition, with the choice of school as hereditary. Though I plan to "aggresively persuade" my children to study in Pisay, I will still give them a choice, just as my parents have always given me a choice.

No, I was not forced by my parents, because on the contrary, my mom had some other school in mind for me while my dad remained neutral about the matter. It's a great feeling to be trusted with one of the most important decisions of anyone's life.

No, I did not go to Ateneo because we're rich. ANLABO NITO. The only reason Ateneo was in the choices was because I got a scholarship. Thus, this proves that I do not fit in the usual perceived social class of people in the Ateneo.

I originally did not want to have to decide something as important as this. But as many have pointed out and I've been made to realize myself, God gave me the power to choose, unlike most who were forced to one school or one course because there were no other options. It was a blessing in many ways but perhaps the most important is that it was training on trusting yourself when you know that God Himself trusts you to make the decision. It's both empowering and assuring. The implication is that whatever I choose, God would be with me. :D

I did not really imagine myself enrolling in Chemistry/ Material Science Engineering prior to the Ateneo Junior Summer Seminar. I must admit that it was one of the biggest influences on why I chose Ateneo. As someone pointed out, I could have simply fallen into a marketing trick, showing the best of what it has to offer but hiding its worse features. But still stand by this statement: Ateneo is so much like Pisay.

Other considerations I had included the versatility of the course, employment opportunities and an opportunity for holistic development and leadership training. One thing that I really wanted was Catholic education. Though I must admit, I grew in my faith during the time I was away from the rigid religion class, I feel now I am ready to appreciate what I will be taught in theology classes. Though as people say, I could continue to grow in my faith even without theology, I believe a combination of service and study would allow me to see God in a wider perspective. As Jason pointed out in one conversation today, we choose something because we think we will find happiness there. As I have pointed out in earlier posts, true happiness is that which springs from an eternal meaning, which is God. I am extremely confident I will find more of God at the Ateneo (building upon what I found out about Him in Pisay). Not that I would not find Him in any other place but connected to what I said earlier, choosing this school is in fact trusting that He would be with me wherever I choose. This is the choice I made and I'm sure I will know more about Him in this newest journey of my life.

So that's the basic explanation. Haha. I tried an objective approach to this by making a list of categories and giving points per category. It wasn't really helpful because at one time, the scores for the two choices, Intarmed and Chem/MSE, were tied!

The three days at the Ateneo has given me a very surprising impression. Haha. It seems Ateneo has one stark difference with Pisay: it is not people-based! I have yet to understand the inner workings of the Atenean society but so far, this has been my impression. The most compelling evidence is that Ateneo seems to have translated in actual rules and written guidelines many of what may seem to be unwritten traditions in the university setting. Imagine having a Magna Carta of Student Rights and a whole talk on how to relate to teachers. Plus the fact that there will be one whole class on Ateneo Culture for the rest of the sem! Grabe. I suppose this is why most graduates of the Ateneo share a common impression of the whole experience. This is very different from what I hear from UP graduates who seem to have a different story to tell about their experience. Learning about UP culture is more of based on experience unlike the rigid structure of learning the Ateneo cutlure.

But come to think of it, Ateneo is people-based in a strange way. From my observations, it seems the people-based system has been deliberately encoded in the rule-based structure of the Ateneo. This is most evident in the way the enrollment and the Orsem have been mostly handled (efficiently!) by the students. The student organizations at the Ateneo seem to have a certain degree of autonomy but always within the minimum framework set by the school. This freedom seems to be enough to allow for the development of ingenuity, ability to adapt and innovation.

And I have to applaud the efficiency of the way they do things at the Ateneo. I know in real life this will rarely happen, but at least I have experienced what government should aim to achieve.

I am really looking forward to the five years I will spend at the Ateneo. :D

12 comments:

superbenlo said...

"As I have pointed out in earlier posts, true happiness is that which springs from an eternal meaning, which is God. I am extremely confident I will find more of God at the Ateneo."

This is very disturbing!! Why?? Won't you find God some place else? Or, will you find LESS of God at the UP or elsewhere?? I believe that God is not more at the ADMU, and I'm sure you won't fine more of God at the Ateneo than at anywhere else.

Anonymous said...

Hahaha! I found this post very entertaining!

Nice to see the perspective of someone like you who grew up in Pisay now dipping his feet into the Ateneo.

Me, what I love about working in Pisay is how DIFFERENT the environment and students are from the Ateneo. I'm having the time of my life now. I don't know if that's because I'm a teacher or because Pisay is such a liberated (to a fault) environment. Quite a refreshing break from the Ateneo actually.

Still, I remember what you're feeling right now. It is great to be in an environment where everything works so efficiently. Ateneo is A+ in that regard. Make the most out of your stay there, Rob! I hope this does turn out to be the place where you belong. :)

Cheska said...

Hahaha! Impressed ka na sa system finally...natatawa pa rin ako pag naaalala ko kung gaano ka na-disappoint nung may problem sa schedule mo tas mali ka pala ng basa!

mintycinnamon said...

naku...
may kakaibang aura ka ha...
anyway...
dun sa part where students are forced to go to a school or take a course because they do not have any other option...
sana sinama mo iyong part na forced because your choice was ruled out from your options...
that's what happened to me...
ilang buwang debatihan din iyan...
naiiyak na nga ako minsan e...
so iyon lang...
sana maging fulfilling ang experience mo diyan...
if God really wants you to be there...

Rob said...

ok irerevise ko kasi it didn't come out the way it should. @ ben.

superbenlo said...

"I am extremely confident I will find more of God at the Ateneo (building upon what I found out about Him in Pisay). Not that I would not find Him in any other place but connected to what I said earlier, choosing this school is in fact trusting that He would be with me wherever I choose. This is the choice I made and I'm sure I will know more about Him in this newest journey of my life."

andaming nadagdag a. hmm. Xp ingat ka sa DOLLHOUSE. hahahaha

FNF said...

Hahaha. Freshman ka talaga. All I can say is "prepare for the worst, and hope for the best!" :)

I agree with Martin, Pisay is different from Ateneo because of the high sense of freedom in Pisay, it's really like UP. And this is why I smirk when I'm asked if I'd be interested in working at the Ateneo in spite of all its advantages.

"One thing that I really wanted was Catholic education." That indeed can be very controversial. I was just talking to an Atenean undergrad (from Pisay) about this recently, and we only have one advise: get a copy of the Catechism of the Catholic Church, read and use it as a compass in your theology classes. What the Church itself says has more weight than what any theologian will say.

Anyway, education is really a personal experience. Much of it would depend on your own attitude towards whatever you encounter. Good luck and see you around!

rAIx said...

"I agree with Martin, Pisay is different from Ateneo because of the high sense of freedom in Pisay, it's really like UP."

I have to agree with ma'am frances. and sadly, I have to disagree with you for the first time.

tsaka, parang pisay, UP let's their students go out and experience the school. parang sa pisay. walang nang preno o kahit ano pa sa kung ano yung pinasok mo. bahala ka na kung paano magadjust, paano madiscover kung ano ang mga nangyayari ang so on. which is actually like UP. parang yung isang student dun sa orientation sabi niya samin: "ah basta, mas malalaman niyo naman ang UP kapag naranasan niyo na siya.

tsaka, haha, natawa ako kay ben.

but I still think you made a good decision. whether that decision would be right or wrong depends on you na. and I'm happy you're an atenean. siyempre mas masaya ako kung nag-imed ka for selfish reasons pero mas mabuti na rin na you really know what you want at pinasok mo yan for your own reasons, guided by God.

Gudlak sa Ateneo! at enjoy the life as and Atenean! see you sa UAAP!

Cheska said...

"tsaka, parang pisay, UP lets their students go out and experience the school. parang sa pisay. walang nang preno o kahit ano pa sa kung ano yung pinasok mo."

College is college ryan, hindi kami pinipigil ng Ateneo maging independent dahil isang fact na sa college, mukha kang tanga pag hinahatid ka pa ng nanay mo sa classroom mo. True, mas parang pisay ang UP. Pero siguro parang pisay din ang Ateneo kasi generally, ang Pisay training ay preparation for college talaga. College in general is like Pisay. We have been trained that way in high school. Pero mas maraming bago sa college cyempre, I don't think dahil lang sa Pisay eh wohoo ang dali na magadjust. Maraming bago, maraming problema, at hindi madali. But we have been trained to handle those things.

Sinasabi ko lang, fine, mas maalaga ang Ateneo. Akala ko nung una ayoko ng ganito. Pero naisip ko, para sa iba, kailangan nila magabayan para mag-adjust. That wouldn't hurt. Hindi naman sila tinatrato na parang nursery ng Ateneo.

"Whether that decision would be right or wrong depends on you na."

Tama ka dito. Nasa tao yan.

Anonymous said...

I think you made the right decision since you seem so happy about it. :) So kahit lagi ka namin inaaway sa pagiging eagle mo, deep inside I'm happy for you. Although I confess, yung secret school of choice ko for you was UP haha.

Oh no, one less secret from you! Oh well, pamalit sa bagong secret ko for today. :P

rAIx said...

@ cheska: haha. inaway daw ako. joke!

but I'm not pertaining to independency cheska. i'm pertaining to the high sense of freedom ma'am frances is talking about. that's different from independency in the sense na sa independency, ikaw ang gagawa ng sarili mong desisyon. pero sa high sense of freedom, may independency na, every possibilty is an option for you pa at kahit anong gawin mo, bahala ka. they're different. and UP is uniquely like pisay for this. yun lang. similarity lang.

yun lang. peace out. :D

clarisse said...

haha. oo nga naman. buti napansin ni ben para naedit mo. :)

and like everyone else, i'm glad you're happy. because contrary to ray2 and ryan, i was hoping you would choose ateneo. haha. lahat may sariling choice. =))

sa sinabi ni ate frances, parang ang saya siguro mag aclc pero ang dami na e. hanapan na lang kita nung book. :)